Care Quality Commission (CQC)
Care Quality Commission (CQC) Report and Ratings
Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS foundation Trust (WWL) is pleased to announce that following a recent CQC inspection an astonishing 87% of its services received either ‘outstanding’ or ‘good’, the two highest ratings. This is a magnificent result and follows on from the Trust being named as the HSJ’s best provider Trust in the country in 2014/15 and is thanks to the hard work, professionalism and dedication of all our staff. The overall rating for WWL was ‘good’.
In its report, the CQC notes a positive caring culture throughout the organisation and praises staff for being not only caring but also committed, compassionate and proud of their services and of the Trust. Staff were found to be open and friendly, going out of their way to help and support patients. The report also comments on the good standard of cleanliness throughout the Trust and the high level of compliance with regard to infection control standards.
The report highlighted the Trust’s End of Life Care services and services at the Thomas Linacre Centre, both received the highest rating of ‘outstanding’. It was also a great credit to staff at Wrightington Hospital and Boston House which were rated ‘good’ in every aspect. The Trust was given an overall rating of ‘good’ for all of its services on all sites under the headings Caring, Effective, Responsive and Well-led.
WWL always welcomes constructive criticism and inevitably the inspection did identify some areas where it can improve and action plans are already in place to address these.
Trust Chairman, Robert Armstrong said “I am really pleased to see that almost the entire Trust was rated as ‘outstanding’ or ‘good’. This is a great tribute to our hard working staff.”
Despite the many positives, WWL was disappointed that the CQC failed to adequately recognise the tremendous range of the Trust’s outstanding achievements. This is a Trust that has won many awards and accolades for Quality including:
- We delivered on all performance targets last year
- Runner up in best place to work in the NHS in 2015
- Cleanest Hospital in the NHS in both 2014 and 2015
- 90% reduction in avoidable harms between 2008 and 2015
- Third highest score in the NHS Staff survey in 2014 and 2015
- Pilot site for 7 day working
- Sixth in the country and ‘Outstanding’ in new ‘Learning from Mistakes’ league
- The only Acute Trust in North of England to achieve the A&E 95% target for the whole of 2015-16
- Wrightington Hospital is nationally and internationally recognised for excellence in orthopaedics
- No MRSA Bacteraemia for over 12 months. Just 12 C Diff in the whole of 2015-16
- HSJ Hospital Trust of the year and winner of the Patient Safety Award 2014
Andrew Foster, Trust Chief Executive said “We are pleased to see that the CQC rated the majority of our services as either ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ but we truly believe as a Board that our Trust and our staff are Outstanding. We will continue on our improvement journey, whose success is evidenced by numerous national indicators and benchmarks to ensure that our patients continue to receive safe, effective and compassionate care.”
You can access our CQC report and our CQC ratings on the CQC site - Click here.