Royal Albert Edward Infirmary
Royal Albert Edward Infirmary
Wrightington Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust
Tel: 01942 244000
The Royal Albert Edward Infirmary in Wigan (sometimes referred to as Wigan Infirmary) is a redeveloped modern District General Hospital with 513 beds providing a base for emergency and acute work, which is situated close to Wigan Town Centre.
Have your details changed?
If you personal details have changed in any way since your last visit, please inform the Patient Administration Staff when you attend for your next appointment. Please also ensure you inform your GP.
Download a site map for the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary
Travelling by train or bus?
Trains: Visit the National Rail website for information, timetables and routes to Wigan. The nearest train stations are Wigan Wallgate and Wigan North Western both 1 mile away.
Buses: Visit the Transport for Greater Manchester (TFGM) website for up to date travel information and timetables, alternatively, call Traveline - 0871 200 2233. Always check with your bus company to ensure their information is current.
Travelling by car? Go to our directions page for the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary
Car parking is available on a Pay and Display basis. It applies to all cars parks and includes disabled areas. The cost is:
- Up to 30 minutes drop off Free
- Up to two hours £2.50
- Between two and four hours £4.50
- Over four hours £6.00
Please bring some change for the pay and display machines as they don't accept notes.
Car Parking Concession Criteria
- Any oncology patient who attends the Trust for frequent regular treatment will receive free parking for the length of their treatment. This criterion was agreed by Macmillan Cancer Support
- Any patients attending clinics at the Trust for a minimum of one day a week for an extensive period will receive free parking
- Visitors of patients hospitalised for more than 2 weeks (14 days), will be offered free parking for the remainder of the patient's stay from day 15 onwards
The Trust has implemented new patient and visitor parking arrangements at RAEI.
The main improvements are:
- The main car park (car park D) now has twice as many newly marked disabled spaces
- Freckleton Street car park, which is 200 metres from the hospital main entrance, is now available for patients and visitors use
- New Disabled parking spaces have been created nearby for Diabetic patients
Additional local parking facilities:
Council pay and display parking is also available on the main road at the front of the hospital (Wigan Lane). The Trust is well served by local public transport. For more information on transport links please follow this link.
Care Quality Commission (CQC) Report and Ratings
The Royal Albert Edward Infirmary is our main hospital site providing a full range of hospital services. Our CQC provider report and ratings link is below as well as the report and ratings for our RAEI site.