The Musculoskeletal Service is a clinic based service available in numerous sites across the Wigan Borough.
The service consists of the following departments:
- MSK Physiotherapy - a team that consists of experienced Chartered Physiotherapists and support staff with the knowledge and skills to provide highly specialist advice, support and / or rehabilitation for people with Musculoskeletal Conditions
- MSK Clinical Assessment & Treatment Service (MSK CATS) – Highly specialised clinicians from various fields who can assess and diagnosis complex conditions, arrange investigations as required and ensure onward referral to the most suitable specialities. More information here
- First Contact Practitioners – a team of highly specialised physiotherapists working alongside our GPs in their clinics to assess and offer treatment of MSK conditions at the patient’s “First Contact”, without prior contact with their GP. More information here.
- What do we do?
Assessment and Treatment of conditions affecting our bones, joints, muscles and other soft tissues, whether they be affected by injury or degenerative changes. It is an Adult based service and accept referrals for anyone aged 16 or over.
Some of the many conditions we can help improve include:
- Back / Pelvic pain / Sciatica
- Shoulder pain
- Elbow pain including Tennis Elbow
- Neck pain/Whiplash
- Wrist pain and hand pain
- Knee pain including cartilage tears
- Achilles, ankle and foot pain
- Calf and shin pain
- Ligament sprains/tears
- Sports injuries
- Fracture rehabilitation
- Nerve Root Irritation
- Muscle strains
- Pre and post-surgery rehab
An in-depth verbal and physical examination will typically be followed by an individual treatment program, tailored to a patients specific needs. Here in WWL, a large part of our treatment plans include Advice, Education, Empowerment and Exercise as our primary goal from our treatments isn’t just the short term reduction in symptoms, but more importantly the longer term management and reduction of future recurrence.
The range of treatment we offer include, but not limited to:
- Exercise Therapy, both individual exercise plans and also group exercise classes.
- Manipulation/mobilisation techniques
- Gym rehabilitation
- Specific taping techniques
- Muscle Imbalance correction
- Joint/Corticosteroid Injections
- Pain Management Programs
To further assist in the longer term management of MSK conditions we also have links to the local Council run Gyms/Leisure Facilities, and can refer patients of any activity and fitness level to services there, more information about this can be found on the Links page.
- How can I access Physiotherapy?
The Patient Information section provides some very useful information about some of the common conditions we see, with leaflets, self management advice and home exercise programs for you to follow. We encourage all patients to try this information as in a lot of situations this can help by reducing symptoms early.
If you feel you have any of the MSK conditions listed and might be suitable to be assessed and treated by ourselves, and the self management advice hasn’t helped, we offer a self-referral service. Click here to access the self referral form and either complete the form online and click 'Submit', or print it off, fill it in by hand and drop it in at, or mail it to, any of our Departments listed in the Contacts section.
You can only self refer if you are:
- Over 16 years old
- Registered with a GP in the Wigan Borough