Cardiac Rehabilitation Service
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Service provides the following:
A multi-disciplinary service that provides individualized holistic assessment of physical, psychological and social needs of patients and their families who have suffered a myocardial infarction (heart attack) or undergone cardiac surgery (stent implantation, bypass, valve surgery)
- Education advice and support on lifestyle and risk factor modification e.g. physical activity, diet, alcohol and smoking cessation
- Effective evidence based medication management in line with national and local guidance.
- Supports return to work
- Provides a home visit within five working days post discharge from hospital. This is provided by the Specialist Nurse for patients with a diagnosis of Myocardial Infarction (heart attack)
- Provides a follow-up in clinic by Doctor & Specialist Nurse for patients with a diagnosis of Myocardial Infarction (heart attack)
- Offers referral to the Cardiac Rehabilitation Exercise Programme in the closest locality
- 1:1 Psychological support is provided post MI/cardiac Surgery
- Functional/Daily activity needs are addressed
- Provides a stress management programme
- Who can access the service?
Any patients that meet the following criteria and are willing to enrol into the Cardiac Rehabilitation Service Programme.
All patients diagnosed with myocardial infarction will be reviewed by the cardiac rehabilitation specialist nurse before being referred into the cardiac rehabilitation exercise programme that is run by cardiac rehabilitation specialist physiotherapists.Patients who have experienced cardiac surgery such as bypass, stent implantation, valve surgery will be referred directly to the cardiac rehabilitation exercise programme for assessment and/or advice.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Service exercise classes are offered at:
Platt Bridge Health Centre
Leigh Health Centre
- Where is the service offered?
Wigan Health Centre
- Contact details and Opening times
Wigan Area - 01942 482259
Leigh Area - 01942 264307
Ashton Area - 01942 483025
Monday to Friday, 9.00am – 5.00pm (excluding bank holidays)
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Service Heart Pack
The following information is for patients in Wigan and Leigh who have had a heart attack.
It provides comprehensive information and advice about heart attacks, the causes, treatment and recovery.
It has contact details for your cardiac rehabilitation nurse if you have not already heard from them.
Download the Cardiac Rehabilitation Service Heart Pack