Heart Failure Service
We are a team of specialist heart failure nurses based in the Wigan Borough with specific experience and training in the management, treatment and care of people with a diagnosis of heart failure.
- What is Heart Failure?
Heart Failure is the term we use when your heart fails to pump efficiently.
There are many reasons why this can happen for example:
- following a heart attack
- narrowed or leaking heart valves
- abnormal heart rhythms
- high blood pressure and excess alcohol intake.
Sometimes a definite cause cannot be found.
The term heart failure can be quite a frightening term however, with lifestyle changes and the right mediation we aim to help support the pumping action of your heart.
- About our Services
Our Heart Failure Service aims to provide management of Chronic Heart Failure, education, advice, and support to patients and their carers. Develop and support services related to Heart Failure and provide education and advice to other Health Care Professionals.
- Who can access the service?
- are diagnosed with heart failure due to moderate or severe left ventricular systolic function, diagnosed by Echocardiogram
- who is registered with a GP in the Wigan Borough and willing to enrol in community heart failure programme
- How can people access the service?
Referrals will be from Acute Trust following Hospital discharge, or by any GP or health professional Referrals will be accepted by a fax letter or completion of the referral form available on the intranet or by request from team
- Referrals to the Service
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms and you suspect that you may have heart failure then please make an appointment to see your GP, who may recommend arranging some or all of the above investigations.
If the results of these investigations confirm heart failure then your GP will discuss with you a referral to the Community Nurse Led Heart Failure Service.
What to expect following referral
- we will contact you by telephone to introduce you to the service and discuss your referral
- we will offer you an individual assessment to help you better understand your condition and how to monitor your symptoms
- we will ensure you are on the appropriate medication to support the pumping mechanism of your heart
- we will refer you onto other services if appropriate such as Cardiac Occupational Therapy
- Where is the Service Offered?
The service is offered in a variety of settings depending on clinical need including:
- Community based clinics
- Telephone support
- Home visits.
- Contact Details
Wigan Health Centre
Telephone: 01942 482241
Fax: 01942 482257
We are available from Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays) between 9am and 5pm.
- Useful Information
Download our Our Service Promise PDF
British Heart Foundation – Heart Failure
Telephone: 0300 303 311