Shoulder Replacement Surgery
Your shoulder is a ball and socket joint and can wear over time, requiring replacement surgery to change or repair it.
Shoulder Replacement Surgery is an effective way to reduce the pain and the debilitating effects of worn or damaged shoulder joints.
- Why Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
Shoulder replacement surgery is effective treatment for a shoulder joint that can no longer function adequately or painlessly.
The most common causes of pain and reduced mobility are:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Avascular Necrosis (temporary or permanent loss of blood supply to the bone)
- How is it performed?
- Under general or local anaesthetic.
- The top of your upper arm bone is removed.
- The prosthetic ball on a stem is then fixed into place with medical glue.
- The surface of the socket is prepared, and any worn or damaged bone removed.
- The artificial socket is fixed into place.
- Wrightington Hospital
In 2018, we provided more new shoulders than any other hospital in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
We are able to offer exceptional clinical outcomes when compared to other providers using the National Joint Registry data.
We have the Lowest Infection Rates of any NHS Hospital in the UK.
We have one of the Lowest Readmission Rates in the North West.