Patient Experience & Engagement (PE&E)
PE&E is the way in which patients, the public, service users and carers can:
- Influence their own care and treatment
- Have a say in the way services are planned and run
- Help bring about improvements to the way care is provided.
Patients have a right to:
- Good treatment in a comfortable, caring and safe environment, delivered in a calm and reassuring way.
- Information to enable them to make choices, to feel confident, and to feel in control.
- Be talked to and listened to as an equal.
- Be treated with honesty, respect and dignity.
Why should Wrightington Wigan and Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust involve the public?
Involving the public in the work of the Trust can result in a number of benefits:
- Well-informed people make better, more effective use of services which leads to better use of resources.
- Services can be targeted to the needs of different communities.
- Better feedback enables service problems to be resolved more quickly and accurately and leads to service improvements.
- Services can respond to, and be driven by, the needs of patients, partners and staff.
- If PE&E mechanisms are in place, some decision making can be made at local level by service users.